On the 9th of May, a coalition of citizens, civil society organisations, and movements called for a kick off the step of a self-organized European Citizens Assembly for the future of Europe.
The Covid19 crises accelerated the need for joint European actions and reforms to ensure the protection of health and universal human rights. Today is the coronavirus, tomorrow – or rather yesterday – it is social, economic and climate crises. Which are the instruments and the reforms needed to strengthen the role of the EU on the global framework? Between March and April 2020 over 7,000 citizens, dozens of EU Mayors, and academics presented a petition to the European Parliament to ask for the reforms needed for a stronger, more democratic European Union, where the solutions to global challenges emerge from the dialogue between citizens and institutions, starting from the Conference on the Future of Europe. The Petition could soon become a Parliamentary Resolution.
What does it mean? And how participatory democracy instruments can be used at a European level by citizens to make the change happen towards a more democratic and sustainable European Union?
– Marco Cappato, civil rights activist, former MEP (1999-2009), founder of Eumans
– Rui Moreira, Mayor of the City of Porto, Portugal
– Sergi Campillo, Deputy Mayor of the City of Valencia and Councilor of the Area of Urban Ecology, Climate Emergency and Energy Transition
– Iga Kamocka, project coordinator Polish Robert Schuman Foundation
– Marco Perduca, coordinator of Science for Democracy
– Virginia Fiume, coordinator of Eumans and coordinator of the European initiative EU CAN DO IT
– Enea Emiliani, Mayor of Sant’Agata di Santerno (RA – Italy)
Official website Citizens Take Over Europe: https://citizenstakeover.eu
The EU CAN DO IT Petition updates: https://www.eumans.eu/eucandoit-first-success-after-public-hearing-petition-european-parliament-covid19
The Mayor Declaration https://www.eumans.eu/declaration-european-mayors-joint-answer-coronavirus-crisis-eucandoit
This video was first published onSource link . We are just re-posting and re-sharing.
Y Not Freakin’ Recyclable Home